Monday, January 14, 2013
Try and have fun with it. See how much debt you can pay off, how much money you can save for a vacation, or how much weight you can lose. Everything within reason of course. Stay motivated by reminding yourself how far you've come.
Any tips to share? Add them to the comments below.
Friday, December 21, 2012
I've been drinking tea since I was a young girl. My grandmother introduced it to me and my sisters. Since then I've always had milk and sugar in my tea. Throughout my weight loss journey, as well as trying to be eat and drink healthier, I've discovered green tea. At first I would only drink it with milk and sugar - because in my mind - that was how I liked tea. Most tea enthusiasts would baulk at my preference for that. Now I drink 5-6 cups of plain green tea every day and I love it.
Benefits of Tea (Black, Green, Oolong and White)
I've compiled a list of some of benefits I've found from different sites online. I try to drink warm tea, not hot tea. Repeatedly drinking hot beverages may boost the risk of esophageal cancer. I suggest you give tea several minutes to cool off before sipping.
1. Increased metabolism - the polyphenol found in green tea works to intensify levels of fat oxidation and the rate at which your body turns food into calories.
2. Diabetes - regulates glucose levels slowing the rise of blood sugar after eating, which can prevent high insulin spikes and minimize fat storage.
3. Heart Disease - scientists theorize that green tea helps the lining of our blood vessels stay relaxed and better able to withstand blood pressure changes.
4. Cancer - can reduce the risk of cancer and is thought to kill cancer cells.
5. Cholesterol - reduces bad cholesterol in the blood, improving the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol.
6. Alzheimer's and Parkinson's - reported to delay the deterioration of brain cells.
7. Anti-viral & Anti-bacterial - studies show that the chemical antioxidant 'catechin' in tea can destroy bacteria and viruses that cause throat infections, dental conditions, and influenza.
8. Depression - an amino acid, 'theanine', is thought to provide a relaxing and tranquilizing effect.
9. Aging - green tea applied topically can reduce sun damage improving the signs of aging.
10. Edurance - can booster exercise endurance. The catechins (antioxidants) in tea increase the body's ability to burn fat as fuel which accounts for improved muscle endurance.
11. Hydration - tea is very hydrating to the body, despite the caffeine.
12. Strong Bones - has been found to improve bone mineral density and strength.
13. Diet - aids in proper digestion.
14. Acne - tea reduces and prevents acne.
15. Caffeine - tea has less caffeine than coffee. Coffee usually has two to three times the caffeine of tea.
16. Immunity - bolsters your immune system to help ward off infection.
17. Allergies - shows promise as an allergy fighter in scientific tests.
18. Arthitis - may benefit the arthritis patient by reducing inflammation and slowing cartilage breakdown.
19. Hepatitis C - a flavonoid found in green tea inhibits the virus from entering liver cells
20. Menstrual Cramps - glycine is a chemical found in tea that relieves muscle spasms and can act as a nerve relaxant. Glycine levels may relax the uterus, helping to relieve menstrual cramps.
Reducing your caffeine intake: steep the tea in hot water for 30-60 seconds. Remove the tea bag and water and re-steep in a new cup of hot water. Studies show that most of the caffeine is released within the first 30 seconds of brewing.
1. "11 Benefits of Green Tea That You Didn't Know About". Lifehack: Lifestyle. 9 May 2012.
20 Dec 2012. http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/11-benefits-of-green-tea-that-you-didnt-know-about.html
2. "13 Reasons to Love Tea". Time: Healthland. 4 Sept 2012.
20 Dec 2012. http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/04/13-reasons-to-love-tea/
3. "What are The Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea?". Squidoo. 26 Jul 2011.
20 Dec 2012. http://www.squidoo.com/what-are-the-health-benefits-of-drinking-green-tea
4. "Top 10 Health Benefits of Drinking Tea". iVillage. 5 Apr 2005.
21 Dec 2012. http://www.ivillage.com/top-10-health-benefits-drinking-tea/4-a-108301
5. "The Benefits of Tea". Teamuse. 15 Dec 2011.
21 Dec 2012. http://www.teamuse.com/article_030501.html
6. "6 Amazing Things Green Tea Can Do. Prevention. Dec 2011.
21 Dec 2012. http://www.prevention.com/food/food-remedies/green-tea-benefits
7. "Chamomile Tea May Fight Colds, Menstrual Cramps". Webmd. 7 Jan 2005.
21 Dec 2012. http://women.webmd.com/news/20050107/chamomile-tea-may-fight-colds-menstrual-cramps
8. "How to Reduce the Caffeine in Tea". Livestrong. 28 Sep 2010.
21 Dec 2012. http://www.livestrong.com/article/245539-how-to-reduce-the-caffeine-in-tea/
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
If you haven't read this book yet, you should! It's only 156 pages and it's an easy read. Click here for info on the book. You'll love it!
If you read it or have already read it please let me know what you think.
Have a great day!
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
I was hoping it would provoke some smiles or conversation with our new neighbours. I had someone come by asking if I had more available in the backyard.
Problem is...if someone removes the "S" on "WEEDS", I'm in a lot of trouble.
Monday, August 8, 2011
Friday, August 5, 2011
Thursday, August 4, 2011
My Dad is insistent that anyone that comes along with them must to try this. I say, if my Dad agrees to wear this hat every day of the trip, I'll think about it..
After telling him that he should wear this hat, his response was, "I think we should all get one". Really Dad? Great idea. We'll end up embarrassing our entire country. You think it's bad when a family wears the same colour t-shirt while on vacation? Well, picture an entire family wearing these shark "hats" instead.
I'm starting to think that their invitation was more of a non-invitation. What do you think?