Wednesday, August 3, 2011

And this proves it...cats are evil!

My parents made me tell this story the other day so I though, why not tell you too? I just want you to know that this is something I'm not proud of...but it just sort of happened to me.

About ten years ago one of my colleagues lost her brother. We weren't told how he had died, just that he did. I was curious, but assumed it was something like a heart attack since it was a sudden unexpected death. I really felt for her and her family. What heartbreaking news. I decided it might be nice if we leave her a card with everyone's sentiments in it from the office. At lunch one day I moseyed on over to our local card shop poring over the sympathy cards. Well let me tell you something. They were boring and grandmother-ish looking with scrolly writing, etc. So instead I opted for, well I guess you could call it an encouragement card. It had a picture of a kitten hanging from a tree. Really cute and not grandmother-ish at all. Heck, maybe it would cheer her up for a second! Great!
I found this picture on the net. It looked a little like this.


So anywho..I brought the card back to the office, slipped it into a file folder, and started passing it around for people to sign. A little later that same day someone came up to me and insisted that I couldn't give our colleague this card. I asked 'why', thinking...is it because it's not grandmother-ish? No, she told me it was because our colleagues brother had hung himself.


I wasn't allowed to purchase cards for the office to sign ever again. True story.


Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment